Hello there, friend. Do you find yourself at home this summer with school-less children? Are you currently debating on which alcoholic beverage to consume to help numb the torture that is your children’s incessant whining about boredom? Are you looking for advice on how to make it through these hot, summer months filled with beligerent and ungrateful offspring? If so, go here, here or here for helpful advice. If not, just get out. Don’t even talk to me.
So summer vacation begins Friday May 23rd….
As most of you know, I’m a stay at home mom. Now I’m not saying I have it hard as I only have 3 kids. BUT according to amassed statistical research (I have no idea, btw) millions (okay, hundreds) of parents were polled at what is the toughest number of children to raise. Guess what? It was 3! Families with 2 kids is man on man defense, so not too bad and more than 3 is a walk in the park (parents who have 4 or more kids feel free to weigh in and tell me how false that is. I sympathize, truly). So here I am, kids home from school for approximately 3 months…. 3 MONTHS!!! *sweating and cracking open a bottle of Cabernet* I know there will be an overwhelming amount of whining about boredom, and “why we can’t go anywhere”, or “how come we can’t go to the zoo AGAIN?!” and “what can we do?!??!”. This challenge makes me want to sign up for every crossfit competition, race, or triathlon just to avoid the next 3 months of anticipated terror that I have no doubt my beautiful, sweet, loving monsters…er…children will put me through. So, like everything in my life from workouts to meal planning, I decided to make a plan. (The chance of it working is slim…but I will forge on!)
Weekly activities we can do:
- A different Park
- Crossfit. Kids love watching mommy put herself through misery. It gives them pointers…
- Walmart, kids love grocery shopping. ::insert sarcasm::
- $2 movies at Marcus! WOOHOO!!!
- VBS for Hailey and 2 summer camps for the boys (just mornings for a week, I’m not shipping them to a camp for a month….unless they have those? Do they have those for 6 and 5 year olds?!?)
- Mall play place on rainy days
- Backyard pool/sprinkler and sandbox. (Kids are never to old for sand castles…right?!)
- Library (My kids being quiet? This could be bad….really really bad…)
- A pool, although this can be more stressful trying to keep track of my crazies…I mean, sweet, kind, well-behaved children…
- More parks…..kids love parks.
- Play dates with friends (My kids are angels so feel free to put in your requests now!)
- Rainy day activities: play-doh (yeah right, the dogs end up eating it and throwing up), crafts (Thank God for Pinterest), dress-up, toys (we have thousands of toys the kids apparently don’t know about), board games, coloring/painting, and playing “Help mom clean the house for cash! Yeah!!”
- Go to family cabin/lake for a day of sand, swimming and fun! This will probably be the most frequent along with parks, I mentioned the various parks, right?
Now that I have a plan I feel slightly calmer…either that or it’s the bottle of wine I drank…I mean, glass, the glass of wine….
My list of helpers I may end up enlisting: Morgan (First name Captain), Jack (Daniels), Robert (Mondavi), Kendall (Jackson), Jose (Cuervo). When I shout “Assemble!” they will form the Avengers initiative dubbed “Cocktail”. Let’s pray I won’t need to call on such brave soldiers….and that I survive this summer…………………